Friday, March 20, 2009

"What are you doing down on your face?"

I was reading in Joshua tonight... The Lord's calling of and promises to Joshua at the beginning of the book have meant much to me for several years now (Joshua 1:5 is one of my favorites...), but I came across another passage tonight in which I found (somewhat ironic) encouragement.

After Joshua had taken the reins of leadership for the Israelites, he led them across the miraculous crossing of the Jordan. At Gilgal, he builds a memorial and tribute to the Lord's actions. Then he leads the Israelites in the amazing taking of Jericho. The people in Jericho - before the Israelites even arrive - are said to "melt with fear" (NIV) because they know the God of the Israelites is the "God in heaven above and on the earth below" (Joshua 2:11b, NIV).

Then, of course, they take Jericho, breaking down its fortified walls with marching, horns and shouts. Not too shabby...

Soon after, the Israelites run into a snag. One of their number takes things he isn't supposed to from Jericho, and God is angry. The Bible tells us that about 3,000 men were sent to fight the people of Ai. They're routed by the men of Ai, 36 of the Israelites are killed and the rest run away in fear. So, what does Joshua, esteemed leader coming off of miraculous triumph after triumph do? He tears his clothes, falls face down on the ground and remains there until evening (see 7:6). At first, I thought he was repenting for whatever sin one of his "flock" had committed. But, then, this is what the next verse tells us: "And Joshua said, "Ah, Sovereign Lord, why did you ever bring this people across the Jordan to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us? If only we had been content to stay on the other side of the Jordan!" Joshua 7:7 (NIV).

Okay, am I the only one who is struck by this? Not only does his heart immediately begin to doubt God's providence and commitment to his people in their current battles, he also immediately jumps backward and tries to give back the land and inheritance promised to the Israelites generations ago!

Now, I know my tone here is a little sardonic; it's for effect, I admit. But the truth is, wow! I mean, c'mon! Joshua didn't just have a small falter in his heart; rather, he takes almost a 180 degree turn and is ready to run back across the Jordan!

For reasons that I hope are obvious by now, this brought great encouragement to my heart! I am so easily brought into a moment of doubt. Just tonight, a brief statement stabbed at my resolve to continue believing God for His promises in the midst of recent testing and fear. It takes just a slight turn of phrase sometimes! Amazing!

I take great courage. If Joshua, the Lord's hand-picked replacement for the great Moses can falter so easily, then maybe I don't need to be quite so hard on myself when I have the same trips and stumbles in my belief and trust. Maybe. Just maybe.

Now, before I wrap up, I want to also point out what may be my favorite part of this whole story. After Joshua falls down in his doubtful pleas, guess what God does? This is His response to Joshua:

"The Lord said to Joshua, 'Stand up! What are you doing down on your face?'" Joshua 7:10 (NIV).

He goes onto explain to Joshua that someone in the Israel camp has betrayed Him. He gives further instruction about remedying the situation and so on and so forth. What I love about this though is that although I could read into this a tone of almost exasperation (which is one possibility), I can't help but notice that exasperated or not, He goes on to tell Joshua how to get set right again.

I don't mean to be judgmental, but if anyone had a lot of "chances," it was ancient Israel. They saw amazing things, and they failed and they doubted and they repented, and they went through the whole cycle again. There were consequences; punishments and outcomes handed down by a just God, but nonetheless, He loved them. AND, He led them into the promised land. This last part is of special significance to me tonight.

I have learned (I think) to believe (most days) that God loves me no matter what I do. I am fortunate enough to attend a church where we are reminded by our pastors on a regular basis that God loves us, and there's nothing we can do about it. Where the lies of the enemy sometimes find a crack in my shield is in a subtlety. I do worry sometimes that, although He may love me, might He withhold from me the things He's promised to me just because I screw up sometimes?

Only God can finally answer exactly what the path of my life will look like, but I know that His word assures me that I am forgiven and fully redeemed in Jesus Christ. I may mess up, but like Joshua, He will chastise me, teach me to walk a straighter path, and then He'll continue to take me to the places He's promised we will go. This is a good God we serve; I am grateful for the honor.

No comments: