Sunday, March 8, 2009

Snatched and Snatched Back

Alright, well, if you've been reading my writing for long, you know that I like to think of the vivid word pictures drawn in scripture. I even like to imagine and draw visualizations in my own mind to help me really grasp the meanings and to relate better in my own present experience of life.

That said, I'm going to share one with you. It may seem a little silly to you, but that's alright. It was helpful for me!

Here's the verse: "Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved" Luke 8:12 (NIV).

Tonight, this verse struck me deeply. I had been thinking earlier today about the absolute necessity of believing God for His Word, His faithfulness and His grace. As many of you know, I write about this a lot.

I was thinking about the words I feel like I've received from the Lord, and how easily I can be persuaded to doubt them, question them and wonder about whether or not I "really" got it. Now, don't get me wrong; I think there's definite validity and value in the process of comparing God's Word against the things I believe I receive from Him. I know I'm fallible - and very much so! BUT, there are messages, stories and love poems He's sown into my heart that I am absolutely sure are well-received and from His Spirit. And yet, sometimes, the very things that in a moment of faith can be certainty to me can so easily become fodder for my doubts in a moment of testing.

I was struck by what this verse says about the devil coming & taking the word away from our hearts, so that we cannot believe. Yes. That resonated in my heart. I have experienced just that moment... something I had known to be true, and his dark and snatching hand trying to pry it from me... his hope that I might not continue to believe my God.

And this is where the word-picture and visualization come in. I felt like I could almost see his dark and destructive hand creeping into my heart, trying to quickly snatch away my word. And even as I'm typing this, I'm seeing it again - I wonder what it looks like to you, in your mind's eye. Then I saw coming from no where my own hand in this sort of abstract vision, reaching in and taking back my word... and with a vengeance! I was reminded of something I have heard Beth Moore teach on, and something I believe to be true: sometimes, we have to fight to hold onto the words He places in our hearts.

It's the side of walking by faith I didn't know about "before." I thought I would just decide to walk by faith, and then, perhaps, merrily skip along on my way - maybe in a perpetually sunny glen, surrounded by daisies or something equally ridiculous and simplistic. But it isn't like that. At least not for me. At least not yet. :) God provides. His words come. He is a remarkably sweet and ministering friend to me in moments when I need Him most. I am so grateful for the ways in which I can always count on Him. And, sometimes, I have to stand firm and take captive those thoughts...for the enemy does come. And he comes to kills, steal and destroy. First on his list? My words. They're often the key to my peace, my effectiveness and my joy... what more could he hope to steal, with my salvation already secured?

So, for my part, I will keep remembering my imagination's view into this verse: I'll remember the black, scaly hand that my mind saw, and I will remember the ferocity with which I sometimes need to snatch back that which has been given to me. I can't exactly connect the dots from here to there, but I know it's part of walking in victory. I'm so glad to have the opportunity.

No comments: