Monday, March 2, 2009

Jesus Goes Viral

I read an awesome article tonight about Christian activism and activity in India. India and its millions have a special place in my heart, so I was moved by the article and one of its story of simple (but profound) triumph. One of the things made evident by the article and, really, by what's happening in India, China and places all over the world is an awesome truth: Jesus is persuasion enough. The story is different for each of us, but maybe just maybe our job as disciples of the nations isn't about convincing anyone...but, instead, it's about telling them the facts of the gospel, and then creating a space for Jesus to demonstrate who He is. He IS the persuasive truth. Sometimes, we're given the opportunity to be that tableau upon which Jesus paints a picture of what His salvation and love are really about; many of our lives are walking miracles by His grace. Sometimes, it's miraculous healing, transformation or even resurrection. Either way, He's still quite busy and it's awesome!

(By the way, for those who may not already be in-the-know, I will share that my own faith has been so strengthened and encouraged by learning more about the miracles being performed in some of these emerging nations in the name of Jesus; it's wonderfully exciting to hear story after story demonstrating His enduring power, might and glory - especially amidst a contemporary backdrop.)

Then, tonight, shortly after reading the article, I was chatting with someone about some ways in which I'm seeing the message of Jesus spread essentially by word-of-mouth in my own life's circle. It's really fun! It got me thinking. There's all this talk these days of YouTube videos and random internet personalities going "viral" and spreading like wildfire. It's just the transfer of something from one individual to the next, with a little personal touch in the middle.

That is absolutely the way of Jesus...

I love that throughout His ministry, there are many stories of Him have personal one-on-one interactions with people just as ordinary as you or I. That "personal touch" came come between one and a crowd of thousands, but it can also come between two hearts connecting in the midst of quiet. In a new way tonight, I am appreciating a reminder that my life is countless, countless opportunities for that touch. A warm smile to a kid at the next checkout line, a little extra eye contact and conversation with a stranger in the elevator at work... maybe they see the cross I wear or maybe they don't! Either way... Sometimes there are times when we're called to go to the mat for another's heart or salvation; I absolutely believe in that too! We are called to be more than overcomers! But, I can't speak into a heart the way He can. I don't have to convince anyone that Jesus is for them. I just have to do my best to let the Spirit take center stage , and then Jesus - maybe as He lives in me - can do all the heavy lifting!

Lord, help me to be used by You! Show me a new way, today, that I can shine Your light, and carry Your message! Thank You for the privilege!

No comments: