Saturday, March 7, 2009

Some Days are a Battle

"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you, saying, 'Destroy him!'" Deuteronomy 33:27 (NIV)

I am sure there are many things that could be noted about the above verse, and perhaps we'll get to more than one of them, but first and foremost, here's what I noticed: in this pronouncement (part of a blessing spoken over the tribes of Israel by Moses just before his death), there is one enemy. He speaks of "your enemy." Not "your enemies." Although, on the earthly plane, the Israelites had quite a time ahead of them, and many mortal foes.

In the end, there is ONE enemy. A dark one who longs to fight against the work of God. I am learning that I need to learn about him, and understand the ways in which he works in my life, and this is becoming clear with greater and greater urgency for me. And it's amazing the fruit that effort is showing! He may be clever, but not terribly creative it seems. Tonight, I found myself again under heavy fire. The thoughts running through my mind were absolute nonsense, and I knew it!

I am SOOOO grateful for the power of a sovereign God that allowed these thoughts to run through my head in the midst of my battle:

"For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (NIV).

I'll tell ya what, I was fighting - hard! BUT, I walk in victory tonight thanks to the grace and might of an amazing and gracious God. So, in closing, I'll add one last beautiful reminder, and before I do, remember, you are adopted into sonship through your belief in Christ!

"Blessed are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the Lord? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword. Your enemies will cower before you, and you will trample down their high places." Deuteronomy 33:29 (NIV)

No comments: