Friday, March 13, 2009

Hopeful, a Full Hope

Friends, I so apologize for my two-day absence! I found myself unexpectedly separated from my computer...and that, combined with a few other "life" factors had me leaving you high and dry. Please forgive! :)

The good news is that I have 2 days of thoughts hopefully accumulating themselves into a substantive writing for today. We shall see, no?

So, here's what's on my mind: hope. I don't have my full arsenal of word study books with me right now, so please pardon me for a lack of specific reference information. What I can say, however, is that there are several words used throughout the Bible that, in their original language, depict a very different idea of "hope" than what we usually think of when we use it today.

When I say, "I hope the sun is out tomorrow" (or whatever the example may be), I usually am thinking "that'd be nice, but who knows?" The Biblical words translated from the original language into English often imply something different, something more.

There's a general sense of expectation implicit in this Biblical concept of hope. So, rather than thinking, "wouldn't it be nice if this great thing happened?", one can instead hope in Him with a confidence and expectation that He is bring the good things He's promised, and that though the timing may or may not be unknown, there's assurance behind the hope.

I think I'm going to end this there for the moment; simple and sweet, I suppose! Plan to see more about hope & its Biblical translations in the future, though. I am getting a sense this won't be the last!

Blessings!

No comments: