Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Got Meaning?

I usually sort of pray and think about a writing topic for this page each day... sometimes I find that inspiration earlier in the days than others. Today, I think God gave me a topic almost as soon as I woke up, and then gave me an entire day - too full to find time to write - in which to let it simmer and to learn more. The topic? Making the day meaningful.

I think that "meaningful" is sort of a difficult word to define. I mean, it's one of those things...I couldn't exactly give you the description, but I know it when I see it.

Solomon wrote a lot about all the things that were "meaningless" in Ecclesiastes, and as it turns out, it's most things. So, what's one to do?

Well, I think the obvious starting place is to consider how God would assign value to our day. We're so lucky to have a handbook for living in the Bible; we are also fortunate to have the Spirit as a personal counselor sent to be with us forever (John 14:16), as well as the perfect mentor in Jesus. You'd think we'd all go around living incredibly meaningful lives each day!

Actually, I should take that back... I think that most of us probably do go around living incredibly meaningful lives each day. For many of us, we have the ability to bring a lot of influence to people around us constantly. And, really, we do so whether we realize it or not. My thought today was specifically about letting the Spirit guide us in how we're to exercise that influence. In what ways, Lord, is my life meant to be meaningful today? Help me to step into Your plan for my day, and help me make it count...and count for You!

Listen, it's almost cliche, but today is the only March 4th, 2009 you will ever, ever get. Yes, His mercies are new each morning (Praise God), and His love endures forever. AND, today is the only one of these you get. Make it count. Consider good stewardship in the context of your life, maybe. I work to be a good steward of my money, a good steward of my time and of my talents... what about being a good steward of my influence? Huh. I don't about you, but that gives me plenty to think about.

Love you all! Comments, discussion topics, etc are always welcome!

No comments: