Thursday, March 19, 2009

Purposeful Accomplishments

I read a couple short devotionals each morning. Most times they are a great start to my day and provide ideas to consider throughout the day. This morning, however, when I read the verse referenced by one of them, I had one of those "stop the presses" moments. I knew at 6:20 this morning that I was meant to meditate on and then write about this verse today:

"So shall My word be that goes forth out of My mouth: it shall not return to Me void [without producing any effect, useless], but it shall accomplish that which I please and purpose, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it" Isaiah 55:11 (AMP).

This far into today, I haven't had any great revelation about this verse. But... I do find it to be such an encouragement! I don't know about you, but I am so prone to thinking that it's up to me to accomplish that which God wants done. It's one of the lessons I feel like I'm *finally* starting to learn: how to let Him be my strength from the beginning of each day (not only when I've reached the end of my abilities!).

This verse reminds me that it's not up to only me! Yes, sometimes, my compliance is required, and often its helpful, but His word accomplishes that which He pleases. It does the things He sent it to do! *phew* Even I - in all my ridiculous arrogance - can't get in its way!

I wrote a couple days ago about the wonderful reminder I had that the Bible is alive and active and that it has power of its own. This word just reinforced that for me. I feel like the Lord is reminding me that I can let go of the fear that I tend to keep grasped in my hands. It's fear that says, "If I'm not careful, I'll ruin whatever it is God is trying to do." When I type it out in black and white, it sounds like such pride, but pride or other wise, I do feel that way sometimes. (Plus, it's not like I didn't know that I have a character defect or two (or 1,000) to work on!)

This verse also reminds me to stay willing and to keep my eyes open! God's word is not just alive and active in some amoeba-like piddly way. For me, it puts a new spin on the concept to think of it charging out into the world accomplishing specific tasks! It's not just a little fleck fluttering inside my heart; it's got real muscle! If I am not seeing that in my life, it may be because I'm not watching very closely.

Lastly, this applies for me in the area of enemy attacks about which I've been writing recently. I often am buoyed up in a dramatic way simply being reminded of the promises of God. He is faithful, and He is loving and just. And it's good for me to remember that His promises aren't just platitudes. They are His effective, accomplishing and purposeful word. I can stand on that.

Thank You, Lord, for Your incredible kindness to us! I cannot do it without You! Your love amazes me!

No comments: