Friday, March 27, 2009

Favor

I read something the other day that has been percolating around in my mind since. It was a devotional that talked about the challenge of believing in God's faithfulness and goodness in the midst of testing and seasons of trial.

The author also brought forth the idea of believing not only in strength to persevere, but also in the Lord's blessing and favor in these same difficult times. It reminded me of a verse I have had many occasions to love:

"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless" Psalms 84:11 (NIV).

He bestows favor and honor. Let that soak in, if you will... favor and honor. He bestows favor. He bestows honor on me. On you. No good thing does He withhold.

I don't know about you, but there are days where, in the midst of my human experience, that feels very, very difficult to believe. I think that, on an even more fundamental level, that can be incredibly difficult even to comprehend. I mean, really. He is the provider of life and light (a sun) and my barrier of protection. And, on top of all that provision, He provides favor for us.

The Hebrew word that is translated here as "favor" implies beauty and kindness in favor. It implies undeserved and unexpected grace and generosity. I know there are times in which I find it very difficult to see the evidence of grace and generosity in my life. But I think it' the challenge of faith to believe Him for its presence regardless. What is more, I think it's a discipline of faith to pray thanks to Him for the coming favor He has promised to bring. Hang in there. He is faithful indeed.

No comments: