Thursday, May 7, 2009

Prayers

I heard on the radio today a letter someone had written about those devastated last year by the earthquake in China. The letter's writer ended it with "I send my warm thoughts to the families affected." It got me thinking...

Warm thoughts? Really? What does that mean? Well, I should rephrase. Obviously, the writer of the letter was motivated from a good place, and wanted to express kindness toward these families. That is, inarguably, a good thing. But what do the warm thoughts actually do? Nothing. I think they do nothing. The realization in that moment made me so grateful to be a Christian.

Through Christ's work on the cross, I have the ability to pray directly to the Holy One, the Mighty One. I am speaking to Him, and I can intercede on behalf of those to whom my heart goes out and actually help accomplish something!

"...the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" James 5:16 (NIV).

I do not mean to disparage the letter writer and her warm thoughts. I was just struck in the moment by the gift and honor we're given. When my heart aches for the millions of victims in China, or the countless others facing injustices and hardships in this world, I can do something. And I can do something that does not only make me feel better, but also actually has power and effect through God's hand. When I remember this, I am spurred onto more prayer and grateful for the authority in prayer He's given! Lord, teach me how to help in the blessings and restoration You're already doing! Show me how to pray; Thy will be done!

No comments: