Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Perspective & a Sense of Urgency

I have learned something about myself over the years: when I am feeling like finding the answers and/or solution to a certain problem feels urgent, I am generally not in a place of trust or surrender. Granted, there are, of course, normal everyday life situations that come along and require an immediate response, but I am talking about bigger stuff here.

What path should I take with my career? Should I marry this person? Are we ready for another baby? What is it that feels "off" in my friendship with so-and-so? What is it Jesus is trying to teach me right now? What is it that is bothering me so much lately? Or in this situation?

These are examples of questions that, in my opinion, don't necessitate an "immediate" answer, and when I find myself looking at questions such as these, and am also fueled with a sense of urgent "I absolutely must figure this out right now!"-ness, I have a pretty good clue that I need to slow down and hand some things over to the Big Man.

I have this mental thing I do. I remind myself, "That's on His list." By that, I mean His "to do" list. I seem to find myself easily confused about which things, in the universe, are on my list of things to do and which things are on His. When I stop and consider this very simple question, it often helps me gain a more proper perspective. Deciding what to wear this morning? My list. Understanding how to heal a rift in my family? His list. Yes, once He reveals His answer, I may have footwork to do, but the "figuring out" is NOT on my list. Seeking, doing...yes, my list stuff. Crafting, visioning, creating...His stuff. Sometimes it's as easy as checking my verb. :)

I also find that my sense of urgency is often (always?) prompted out of a desire to get out of whatever uncomfortable spot I find myself in. This is usually an emotional discomfort that, for me, is sometimes excruciating! I realize that the more "urgent" things seem for me, the less likely it is that my urgency is really about the real situation. Is it urgent that I figure out, RIGHT NOW, what I want to do with the rest of my life? Um, no, not really. Is it imperative that it happen today that I heal the rift in my relationship with an old friend? Um, probably not. So, I have to remember: God's sense of timing strikes many a human heart as a little off, or perhaps, sometimes, a little slow (although I know I'm not the only one who's found Him to be a little fast as well!). What's true however is that His timing is perfect. His vantage point is better. His understanding is better. And His ways are always better.

Yield to Him. Find haven in Him for the discomfort that may be real in your situation; your feelings may be 100% valid, but that doesn't mean they have to drive the boat. I'll say it again. Yield to Him. He's the Prince of Peace. That's no coincidence. Let Him have stewardship over your ways, and He will get you there right on time.

No comments: