Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Pilgrim

Well, I'm gonna start this off in a way that half makes me cringe and half makes me life... it's old school 7th grade essay style:

Pilgrim: (noun)
1. a person who journeys, esp. a long distance, to some sacred place as an act of religious devotion: pilgrims to the Holy Land.
2. a traveler or wanderer, esp. in a foreign place.
3. an original settler in a region.

And why am I talking about pilgrims? Thinking of Thanksgiving? Um, no. :) Here's a verse that, over the past couple years, has been near and dear to my heart. And it got me thinking:

"Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage" Psalm 84:5 (NIV).

The context of this particular verse doesn't give me any amazing new insights at the present moment, but what I have always found heartening about it is the reminder that not only is life with Christ about a journey, a pilgrimage.... and that, as I am a pilgrim, set on the journey He's plotting out for me, I can let my strength be in Him. I suspect I'll never tire of that reminder.

I am a traveler, and from this vantage point, the journey certainly seems long. I am a wanderer in a foreign place...absolutely. And it is in His strength that I can wander, and keep my heart set on the pilgrimage. And that brings blessing. What a wonderful way!

No comments: