Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dwelling in Him = No Disaster or Harm for Me

I have several copies of the Bible, and for some reason I love them all. It's a book thing, maybe, but I still love them, and find myself wanting more copies! Now, don't be fooled into thinking this is some holy quality of mine. Quite the contrary! I think it's simply an appreciation of the art that is the beautiful way in which many Bibles are printed: the gilded pages, the thin paper...there's something about it that I love!

In any case, these days my "primary" Bible is on the computer (which is wonderful, but does lack gilded pages...). However, in different times, I tend to cycle through and switch around which printed Bible I have next to my bed, which one I carry with me, etc. And, as I read and listen to teachings, etc, I find myself scribbling inside the covers - different passages, verses on different themes, specific books, etc. Interestingly, the "strategy" for what I write and in what format varies printed copy to printed copy. In any case, I'd hazard a guess that *every* copy has written in it a small list of "favorite" Bible chapters. And, I'd further guess that each one has Psalm 91 on its list. And that, my friends, was the point on the whole story to this point. :)

"If you make the Most High your dwelling— even the LORD, who is my refuge - then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent" Psalm 91:9-10 (NIV).

There's a reason the 91st Psalm is so well known; the depth and richness of not only its message, but also its language are profound. Look at the verses above. Look at the promise: "no harm will befall you." Look at the reverence for the Lord: "the Most High." Look at the revelation of His protecting and loving nature: "who is my refuge." Look at the instruction: "If you make...." There is such wisdom in every sentence of this chapter, in my humble opinion, and for me, it's one of those that is like a soothing balm for my soul every time I read it.

I've included just a couple quick verses here, but in truth, I suppose this post is turning out to be a simple pitch for the 91st Psalm. Take some time with it today; I am certain you will find it worth the time. Blessings!

No comments: