Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Heart of Blessing

I was talking with a friend this morning about blessing others, and up popped the topic of what is involved when we need to or feel called to bless someone toward whom we don't have what I'll call "a heart of blessing" (the translation here is you know, someone that drives you nuts, but I was going to try to go for something a little softer and, frankly, probably a little more inclusive).

I was remembering advice I'd been given years ago. It was advice I took, and I was very glad. The advice was, when it comes to someone you have a hard heart toward, start praying for them. But, more specifically, put yourself in their shoes, imagine what things they might want, like and need in their lives, and pray for those things to come to them. Pray that they would be blessed, in specific ways, and in ways that are the things that you think that person would appreciate the most.

A key part of this advice (a vital part as well, if I'm telling the truth) was that it doesn't matter if you mean it or not. This was quite a relief to me, I must say. And, actually, when I asked how long I would need to pray for these people in this way, the answer was "until you really mean it." And I'll admit right now, as I went through a list of people, there were some people who fell off the list quickly; I found it much easier than I might have guessed to pray for blessing in their lives with a sincere heart. There were others who were on that list for a much longer time period, and some of the who's who in that break down was surprising. What was most important though was that I did get to the point where I meant it with everyone on that list, and the wonderful by-products of that fact are 1) my heart was softened toward them and 2) I trust God was faithful in responding to my prayers.

There's not much more I need to say on this front. Take from this what you will. And if you're having a hard time sincerely blessing some folks who cross your path, I can say from personal experience that the whole prayer thing works. Praise God!

No comments: