Thursday, May 14, 2009

Plants Need the Rain to Grow

I got a word tonight, and it was one I didn't even know I needed. The Lord's been talking to me lately about some important things (at least important in my life), and He keeps reassuring me that His word does not return void. That He accomplishes His desires and purposes. I've taken great comfort in His generous reassurances and encouragement.

Tonight, as I was praying, I kept feeling a nudge to go check out Isaiah 55. So, I did. I - off the top of my head - didn't know what might be in Isaiah 55, but as I read through the chapter, I found several things that jumped out at me, and spoke to my heart. Then I came across these two verses. Consciously, I wasn't even aware this verse was in Isaiah 55...what's more, I'm fairly certain I'd never really considered in the context of the verse above it. Here's what I'm talking about:

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it" Isaiah 55:10-11 (NIV).

It's funny; I've had many times during which I just needed to accept that God was working on something, and be peaceful in simply that knowledge. And there are about a million things in my mind that I think I could apply that same point to today. A couple, however, are bigger than others, and God spoke to my heart here telling me that not only is He working for something, and not only will it accomplish His purposes (and, really, thankfully by His grace, most moments that really IS enough for me!), but He also assured me that trying seasons aren't only about patience; they're not always only about trust; they're not even only always about being stretched... but, instead, they're about creating that which was intended in the first place. Look at the lovely language in this passage. He doesn't want me to just be, or even grow... He wants me to bud, and to flourish. He wants to use me to help yield seed for the sower and bread for the eater. He, through His word, produces what we need to do and be that which He's given us to be and accomplish in our lives.

His word doesn't accomplish what He purposes because it's scrappy and somehow manages to tough it out (a posture that I admit is sometimes the one I adopt). In fact, I looked at this Hebrew word translated as "accomplished" and it provides a wealth of insight! Some of the (many) defining words are to advance, to appoint, to bring forth, to deal with, to fulfill, to furnish, to grant, to prepare, to provide, to yield and (my personal favorite) to create. And although this word is the one used throughout Genesis to indicate creation of something from nothing, it doesn't always (or even usually) mean that. It just means to make. So, if I may, allow me to summarize the verses above to emphasize what I heard in them today:

The word that He speaks isn't meaningless or without efficacy; He sends it out with a purpose, and those things He's desiring happen. The things He's make are made. He sends rain and snow not only to water the earth, and not only to make flourishing plants and flowers. He sends it also so that the things that will come from those plants can be made; there will be seed for those who sow seed and bread for those who need to eat. He does things with His words and purposes that we might anticipate, but He does so much more. His purposes are more than I may realize, but, very importantly, realized by me or not, the things that please Him come to pass by the power of His word.

What a mighty God!

No comments: