Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Center Point & a Wacky Metaphor involving a Maypole

So, I have an idea I'd like to convey, but may need God's help to do so in any way that makes sense! :)

Do you know what a Maypole is? Well, if you don't, you may want to google it quickly...the visual is important in my metaphor.

So, here's what I've pondering. Give me a minute to get to it, because I will appear to strangely veer here, but I will get back to the Maypole thing...

In thinking about spiritual warfare lately, I was prompted to what I think is a key realization. Although I may need to pray and declare scripture against the enemy and his tricks, my focus should never be on Satan. I don't know if anyone else will be able to relate to this, but speaking for myself, I can say that there have certainly been times (many of them, actually!) when even my praying and declaration of scripture was more "about" Satan than anything else.

What I mean by that is that, even when I've been in earnest prayer and focused on using His Truth in defense against the enemy, and even at times when I am intentionally raising the sword of the Spirit and the shield of faith...even then, there are sometimes times when my energy is more focused on the evil I'm standing against than on the One bringing the defeat. And when my energy stays focused on beating the enemy, I really see the net result as "close, but not quite."

So, this is where the Maypole comes in. I believe I can probably keep myself connected - by strands and ribbons to Satan, and he can be the center of my Maypole of spiritual battle...OR, I can un-tether myself, set Jesus as the center of the Maypole and dance around Him - although I may still be praying against Satan and his lies. In truth, the external view of what I'd be doing - praying, scripture, etc - may all look the same, but the inside is what I'm talking about here.

When I step into the battle, I lose instantaneous ground if I let the battle be about my enemy. The battle is about victory, and by necessity and by default, the battle must also be about the True Victor. For me, this has been a stirring and, truthfully, radical shift. I don't know how these tiny, subtle distinctions can make such a difference, but this one has for me. I hope it made sense, and I hope you are able to glean from it something that will bless you too!

No comments: