Monday, May 11, 2009

Good Times

I can't be the only one who has found that - at least at certain points in my life, I tend to pray a lot more when things are hard. I'm quite grateful that over the years I've learned to turn quickly to my Lord when I'm hurting, frightened or simply feeling lonely. I've even learned to make the expression of gratitude to Him a practice and habit...but that's usually something that comes to mind most quickly when I'm feeling a surge of gratitude and thankfulness.

What about the rest of the time?

What about today? I was just sitting here thinking, "What on my heart today? What should I write about?" And I thought about how, really, this has been a good day. I had a good weekend. I am having fun on a busy project at work. The lovely weather provided an opportunity for me to take my dogs to the park and get some exercise, and my agenda for the evening includes laying on a hammock and reading His world...along with a phone call or two to a loved one. Wow, not too shabby, huh? :)

Well, that's when I remembered an important point. The Bible instructs us to sing songs of praise and to give thanks in many, many verses. There are also many examples of Biblical characters who model for us the behavior of turning to the Lord in gratitude and in joy. What I want to remember for myself is that it's not just when the thing I've been wanting or worrying about happens. It's not only when I'm having a really, really great day. It can be just in a normal ole good day. I have learned a spiritual practice of giving thanks in hurt and in fear that I find very helpful and healing... but I think learning to live in the action of gratitude in the midst of the dailiness of life is a worthy, and Biblical, pursuit. Don't you think?

No comments: