Sunday, May 31, 2009

New Again

Here's a verse with which I'd guess most of you are familiar. However, in the Amplified translation, some additional depth is provided. I, personally, found it giving me a renewed appreciation for the verse itself.

"Let each one [give] as he has made up his own mind and purposed in his heart, not reluctantly or sorrowfully or under compulsion, for God loves (He takes pleasure in, prizes above other things, and is unwilling to abandon or to do without) a cheerful (joyous, “prompt to do it”) giver [whose heart is in his giving]." 2 Corinthians 9:7 (AMP)

Personally, I have times where I know the thing that God would find most pleasing is me giving of myself in some way, but regardless of that knowledge, I still don't feel necessarily "cheerful" about it. In fact, there have been times for me when the choice to give has been simple obedience, and although it's not exactly something to be proud of, there are times when that giving is almost reluctant.

Personally, I don't think this lessens the importance of giving. And, in fact, for myself, I've found that giving in those types of situations is sometimes more important than in other scenarios. Rarely have I consciously chosen to be self-sacrificing (regardless of the scale) when, later, I haven't been able to say that I, too, benefited from the giving. I'm quite convinced this is an intentional part of our design. We're meant to give. We're meant to get outside of ourselves. For me, it's the easiest cure for my own negative feelings and moods: getting out of myself, helping someone else and gratitude. It's an amazing (and nearly fool-proof) combination.

The verse above, however, brings a smile to my heart. Although sometimes my reluctant giving may benefit me, here I am reminded that when I give with a generous and willing heart, God is pleased. This translation highlights the root Greek's implication that this type of joyous giving is something God especially prizes. I'm so grateful to be able to say that as God has changed my heart and renewed my mind in the last few years, giving is something I do much more often and much, much more cheerfully than times in my past. And I am glad to know that it brings gladness to Him - as well as to me and those I can help! Talk about a perfect design... He truly is wonderful!

No comments: