Thursday, April 30, 2009

Freedom

I sat down to write today's post, and prayed, "What would you like me to write about, Lord?" Immediately, my answer came: "Freedom." Alright, excellent! I rarely get such clear and immediate direction, so I will be quick to obey. Furthermore, this topic is a personal favorite, so all the better!

I also found a verse that is speaking loudly to me today, so here we go!

"I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts" Psalm 119:45 (NIV).

I will walk about in freedom. The KJV says "at liberty" and I love that too. What catches my attention most about this verse is not only what it says, but also what it does not say. It doesn't say, "I will hope I'm free" or "I will work toward being free" or "Somedays I feel free" or "I wonder if I am free." Nope. It says, "I WILL walk about in freedom," and furthermore, the author provides an explanation for such steadfast assurance: I have sought your precepts. Even better!

Again, what isn't said here speaks loudly to me. The psalmist doesn't say, "I sought you and you told me everything I needed to know (so now I can be free)." He also doesn't say, "when I fully understand all your precepts, I will be free" or "I can be free because I got full answers to all my questions." No, the writer here sought the Lord. He put his intentions and (presumably) this includes his actions and his heart. And in that, he rests certain that he can walk about in freedom, in the liberty of a loving God.

The wonderful thing? You are guaranteed this same assurance. I could give you a hundred scripture references teaching that those who trust in the Lord will be guided in a straight path (Proverbs 3:5 for starters!), but the key is understanding that the assurance of His involvement in your path IS freedom. You need only believe Him for it, and then walk about in liberty!!! It's what He sacrificed for; so, remember, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free; stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery" (Galatians 5:1) (NIV). AMEN!

No comments: