Wednesday, April 29, 2009

From the Psalms...

I felt moved to write what I hoped would be a post of encouragement today... I did a little searcheroo in the ole Bible to find a good verse for inspiration. I started by searching for the world "uphold." I found so many results, and in such plenitude... I felt my own heart soaring in the encouragement of His active Word. I think, for today, I will let the Bible speak for itself - and I narrowed it down to just one book!

I don't know that I could add much, but I will encourage you to read each of these slowly... let the promises of His goodness, faithfulness and unrelenting strength trickle over your heart. I love to read the Word out loud. There's fascinating teachings about Biblical precedent for the power of the spoken word. I encourage you to read these out loud... His Word does not return void! Hallelujah!!!

"...for the power of the wicked will be broken, but the LORD upholds the righteous" (37:17)*

"If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand" (37:23-24)

"Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. They who seek my life will be destroyed; they will go down to the depths of the earth" (63:7-9)

"I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy" (140:12)

"Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down" (145:13-14)

"the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them—the LORD, who remains faithful forever. He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down, the LORD loves the righteous" (146:6-8)

*all are from the NIV

No comments: