Monday, April 6, 2009

Piece by Piece

Friends, I so love love love the way the Lord works. Sometimes it brings me just to such a sweet place of quiet and tears when I have one of those new "ah ha" moments about Him, His love and my life as His child.

I had one of those moments this weekend. Or, rather, I think I may still be in the middle of having one.

I've been looking closely at John 14:6 lately for a small group in which I'm involved. The verse, for reference, is this: "Jesus saith unto him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me'" (KJV).

I decided to look at the word translated as "through" or "by" in that verse (as in "no one comes to the Father but by Me"). I mean, if I would like to know how to come to the Father, how to be reconciled to Him, I should make sure I really understand how that works, right? Well, the word says about what I expected. In fact, the language in this verse is all surprisingly well...direct. Each word I looked up left me thinking, "Well, that's about what I'd think" and, trust me, that is not usually the case. I wonder at the significance of such plain, clear and direct language. For a man who spoke so frequently in parable and metaphor, I am a little touched by the idea that something this central He said as plainly as could be. It's just that important; no one should miss out.

I am not sure there's more for me to say about this just yet. It feels a little disjointed, but I think He's working on a bigger picture for me, and it seems to be coming into view just piece by piece. So, for today, here's the piece I have. Hopefully you will see ways it fits into what He's working on in you too.

No comments: