Friday, April 17, 2009

Setting Face Like Flint Against the Accuser

I have found a new verse to memorize, live & love:

"Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame" Isaiah 50:7 (NIV).

There are a few things I love about this verse. First of all, the way its ordered clicks perfectly well with the way my head works. It is because of the Sovereign Lord's help that I will not be disgraced, just as it's stated. It's also because of this assurance that I can set my face like flint. Something about that translation and wording is just so wonderful to me!

I have said before that there's sort of iron core of strength deep down inside myself...and, sometimes, I know when facing a tough situation that it's time to get in touch with that strength.

(Now, another day perhaps we can talk about the source (or Source) of that strength... I do not mean to say it is of my own creation or doing... but going into that further is off topic for me today.)

In reference to accessing that strength or finding emotional access to it, I've said before that it feels like banging an iron pipe against that iron core.... I can almost hear the strong, resounding clang. It's deep and sturdy sounding. That's what I feel like when I dig deep into that solidity inside.

So, in turn, the idea of setting my face like flint appeals to me and makes perfect sense in that wonderful intangible way that language sometimes becomes real for me without any sort of translation. I love it.

Lastly, the verse reiterates and makes a strong statement of faith: I know I will not be put to shame. Exactly.

For me, this one strikes that lovely place of acknowledgment inside. I get it. No further explanation necessary. I just get it.

Isn't it great to love and serve and follow a God who knows these minute nuances of our beings...who developed them and created them and tweaked them into being with loving kindness and grace? I love it. Thank You, Lord! You spoke to me today!

No comments: