Monday, April 27, 2009

Our Mouths

A couple years ago, God used several forms of input to really convict me about how I used my mouth. I started by cutting swear-words completely out of my vocabulary. For a long time, I thought it was silly that certain words somehow created by society had been given this (seemingly) random connotation as "bad" words. Why is one word "bad" and another - with the same meaning - not? I thought it was unlikely that God really was too concerned with which random combination of letters our culture had deemed offensive. And, in some ways, I think I may still be correct about that. I may not be. But what I feel like the Spirit taught me makes the question irrelevant.

We've all heard, "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" And I started to challenge myself with a similar question: "Do you worship your Father with that mouth?" I first started to clean up my language out of respect for God. I didn't want my hallelujahs coming through the same lips that spoke other things far less holy.

There are of course wonderful argument for being a good witness and representing the church body well that may be meaningful for you as well. For me, however, the thing that really did it was the idea of not only me being set apart, but also His holiness... and that I didn't even deserve to speak His name, but I am welcome to speak with Him thanks to the sacrifices He orchestrated. Would I be willing to respect and repay that love by cleansing the lips I used to speak His holy name? In praise? In worship? In prayer? I was.

Additionally, there is a great deal of Biblical precedent that demonstrated for me how much power there is in the spoken word. I didn't want to speak those things into my own life, especially when I started to realize that the words I spoke to others, or even under my own breath were a real part of my relationship with Him. Not only because He is with me at all times, but because as I've given my life to Him, that includes every moment, every word, every utterance.

This topic came back up for me recently as I started thinking about the other ways in which I use my mouth. I feel the Lord is encouraging me to "raise the bar" on my own intentional "setting apart" of my mouth. I started thinking about seemingly harmless criticisms I make...a stranger's outfit, a commentator's article... it can be anything, many of which are trivial, some of which are not. There's also gossip. And general sarcasm or cattiness - regardless of the context.

Now, don't get me wrong; I think it's important to speak what is true. I believe very strongly in the value of being willing and able to share and speak what is true for me in any given circumstance. However, I feel a new framework coming into view. First of all, if it comes to something trivial, that's easy. Do I need to make a comment to those I'm with about the ridiculous hairstyle of the person across the coffee shop? No, I don't. There's no value in that for me. And, frankly, it's unkind. But, even when sharing my feelings with those closest to me, I feel a new urgency about using life giving words. I'm pretty cautious and, more importantly, conscious about the words I use and the language I speak in general, but there is always more to learn.

My main point is this: we are given our mouths and the power of language and communication. What does it look like to apply to it a standard of stewardship? The gift we've been given that enables us to speak and form words at all is just that: a gift. How well are we caring for it? How are we using our mouths to bring honor to God? For me, it extends far beyond the words I speak to Him. I am not going to be offended to hear a friend criticize a stranger, and surely, I will do it myself again. But I will ask for forgiveness when I do. We are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, and this is a simple way in which I can hope to bring further delight to the heart of God. I hope He will speak to you and say whatever it is you need to hear on this topic. And, if the only purpose of this post is for me to remind myself about the importance of this topic to my own heart, then that's good too. Gratefully, I remind us all that there is no more condemnation for those in Christ (see Romans 8:1).

Lord, for You today, I hope to offer a pure hallelujah! Thank You for Your love for us!

No comments: