Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ready or Not

This is going to be a short one today... partially because I am beyond brain dead, but also because the thought that's been tinkering around is a pretty simple one!

In daily life, it seems like there's a lot of talk about getting or being ready. I am sure I say it all the time... "I think I'm ready" or "I don't know if I'm really ready for that" or "I just want to feel ready." So, it got me thinking, how do we really define this idea of readiness?

I think that, most of the time, the way it's used in casual conversation sort of points to more a feeling of readiness, rather than a true state of readiness. I have to wonder, what if I took the idea of "Do I feel ready?" from my vocabulary, and instead asked myself only whether or not God was ready for me to do or say or be whatever is in question.

I think that, if it's within His timing, we're always "ready." And maybe when I say I'm not ready, I'm really just sensing that His timing has not yet come. Depends. But, I can say for certain that, at least at times, I don't focus my energies on discerning His timing, but instead, I focus on identifying how ready I feel.

Food for thought. A little circular, but hopefully not too much so!
Would love to hear your thoughts!

1 comment:

Smart Alec said...

I think all of prophecy was to help us be ready, both historically and for what's to come. When I think about Jesus' parting words "I go to prepare a place for you", I can't help but think "I'm ready" for change and to check out our new home. It's like we have a house being built across town and it's almost finished and we haven't been to see it yet. Only much beyond that :)

Thanks for all your inspiration!