Friday, April 24, 2009

Empowerment

I don't know about you, but I happen to find myself feeling sort of inadequate sometimes. In fact, I probably consider myself to be inadequate for whatever task is at hand quite frequently. And, in and of myself, I am inadequate for a great number of tasks and callings. The wonderful news is that I do not live in and of myself alone.

Many of us are familiar with Philippians 4:13 which reads, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (NKJV). And I take great comfort in that truth. I also take great comfort in the fact that certain key points in the Bible are stated and restated over and over again. It gives folks like myself, with an extra thick skull, a chance of really grasping the truth in a way that takes on power and meaning.

I've recently become more intimately acquainted with one such re-statement:

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires" 2 Peter 1:3-4 (NIV).

For me, there is a new layer of understanding with some of the specifics cited here. He's given us everything we need. And let there be no doubt. I like to check my "facts" on these types of things, and that word for everything is definitely all-encompassing. It implies implies "all, any, every, the whole...all manner of" and more. It also implies all of these things, but additionally a thoroughness and wholeness. This word leaves no room for doubt. He's given us everything we could need. And, not only for life, but for Godliness and holiness (which is implied in the root word). Pretty awesome, huh?

And, this verse also lets us know that it is through His glory and goodness that we've been given His great and precious promises and that through His promises we are enabled and allowed to participate in the divine nature. Several translations (the ESV & NASB) say that we are enabled to become "partakers of the divine nature."

So, for me, today, I am thankful - and living into belief in His promise. I'll be partaking as much as I can today, thanks to Him!

No comments: