Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Give Him an Inch...

You know that old saying, "Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a mile"? Well, I was thinking about that and how, flipped around, it can so speak of our Lord!

Here's the thing, and I mean this in a good way... but, I think God is more than just a little bit of a show-off. Now, before you go getting all worked up on me, let me see if I can unpack my thoughts here a bit.

First, start with Isaiah 61:1-3

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor" (NIV).

Okay, seriously, I'm tempted to just say "Point made." I mean, wow! This is what our Lord is about. This is His business, His speciality. Praise God for a Lordship of Restoration! Hallelujah!

But, add to that the fact that Jesus laid down His claim to this same mission to prevent there from being any question about His plan for His time on earth in Luke Four. Again, need I say more?

I think not. But, I'm going to... :)

Review the end of that Isaiah passage. He intends to plant us for a display of His splendor. Tell me how awesome that is! He not only wants to plant us and help us to grow; He not only wants to grow us into oaks of righteousness (deep, tree roots and all), but He also wants to show us off! The display of His splendor!

Now this idea isn't new...not at all... obviously, it's scripture for starters, but it's been taught by many Bible teachers over time. What struck me today, though, was just that all He asks from us to start this ball rolling is just our belief in Him. And that's it! He says "Lean into me, and I will renew, revitalize and redeem you." Pretty good deal, I think. So, I say, give Him that inch and let Him bring you the next mile, and keep handing over mile after mile, and watch how far He'll take us! I hope I shine and glow in splendor so bright no one misses His glory! Seem far fetched?

"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think" Ephesians 3:20 (NLT).

Believe Him for BIG, friends. It's a daily journey, but one SO worth the travel!

No comments: