Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Just a Few Words Can Make Such a Difference

Well, I've had the same scripture passage come up in 2 conversations & 1 devotional in the last 48 hours... so, that's my cue to give it some thought & consideration. I thought I'd use my blog post today to bring you along with me. :)

I wrote about the first of these two verses a couple days ago...

"For the Lord God is our sun and our shield; He gives us grace and glory. The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right. Oh Lord of Heaven's Armies, what joy for those who trust in you" Psalm 84:11-12 (NLT).

One thing that's caught my attention in a fresh way is the reference to the Lord as our shield. This word means much of what you think it might in the original Hebrew, but I love knowing that the metaphor I apply to it sort of naturally is really inherent in the original language. The word implies a figurative protector. It also includes in its meaning the image of the thick hide of an alligator. Isn't that cool? When I need a "thick skin," I can count on Him!

Along these same lines, I absolutely LOVE what's said in verse 12. It just makes me want to sit back and exhale a big sigh of relief to remember that He is the Lord of Heaven's Armies! Seriously, if the Commander of the Legions is on the watch, whatever could I possibly fear?!?

The last concept here is the that of the joy for those who trust in Him. The word that the NLT translates as "joy" is also translated as blessing or being blessed in other translations. It means blessing in the basic sense, but carries with it an added nuance. It implies the idea that superior has bestowed his favor on you. Yes, yes! And even in a single word, the Word reminds us again that by trusting in Him, He brings us His active, favorable blessing. Wonderful, isn't it? Interestingly, the definitions for this word also noted that although this blessing definitely connotes unwavering goodness of God, it doesn't necessarily equate to happiness. In other words, it serves - by its very definition - as another reminder that sometimes what He's working on with us isn't "fun" and might not make us feel "happy." BUT, regardless of a momentary emotional experience of the situation, it IS good. It is blessed by Him, and will ultimately be a manifestation of His loving and generous disposition toward us. Very cool.

And, lastly, for the one that trusts in Him. This word, for trust, is closely tied with the idea of refuge. Of taking refuge and finding security in Him. It also implies boldness. As I read this, I am encouraged to boldly put my faith in Him. He IS my security, and I am safe because I rest my trust in Him. And, in this, as the verse tells us, I am guaranteed His blessing. And even if it's not fun right now, this teenie tiny phrase reminds me that putting my security wholly in Him will bring about good result. How awesome is that?

Thank You, Lord!

No comments: