Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Examples & Influence

I have to admit, as I sit down to type this, I have almost no idea what I'm going to say. I prayed for guidance about what to write, and I have a topic, and that's about it. I looked for some Bible verses to explore, but nothing I found jumped out at me. So, this may be very short. :)

Here's my "thesis" statement: you & I each exert an unknown amount of influence throughout our days, and it's a responsibility we ought not shirk or ignore.

We are examples to people who may not be looking up to us, per se, but may simply be looking at us from across the lobby, across the restaurant, or ahead of them in the check out line. We have obvious people in our lives who may look to us as leaders, or who may be influenced by our actions. Regardless of our official "position" or role in any situation, there are family members, co-workers, friends, neighbors and even strangers who will see, and notice how you handle yourself in any situation.

Please know that these people will be influenced, however subtly, by your actions and inactions. They will hear the words you speak, the tone with which you speak them. They will see when I roll my eyes or make an irritated face. Children, especially, will notice. Adults will though, too. As followers of Jesus, as representatives of the church, the body, we have an obligation to consider this ambassadorship in our lives.

Please do not think of this has added pressure (although, I admit, I do feel like the heat has gone up a degree or two!). Just, please, be mindful. I resisted putting any "Christian" symbol on my car until I was certain I could consistently drive in a way that wouldn't reflect poorly on the church. Whether or not it should reflect poorly on the church as a whole, or on Jesus Himself is irrelevant. Sometimes, our best opportunities to witness about His impact in our lives are those of which we are unaware.

So, how do you handle the challenging family member? How do you handle the frustrating co-worker or the irritating lady in front of you in line? How do respond to a inconsiderate driver or a bothersome neighbor? By no means do I believe our job is to sit by idly letting everyone do whatever they want around us; accountability and honesty are part of our roles as well. But, the fruit of the Spirit is demonstrated and recognizable by its qualities...and those qualities call us to open ourselves up to show Him off... in kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control...among others.

Hebrews 12:1 tells us that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses! I sometimes stop and think about how those around me in the earthly world might perceive my actions; I also sometimes stop and remember that He and other witnesses are watching me at all times. I want to make sure I exercise my influence in a way that pleases Him. It's a responsibility that shouldn't, in my opinion, be taken lightly.

Teach us in Your ways, Lord! Teach me how to open my heart to Your spirit each day, so that I may be filled with You and demonstrate Your love to the world around me!

No comments: