Thursday, July 30, 2009

Greatest Temptation

The more I reflect upon it, the more striking the difference between the way the Bible teaches us to live our lives, and the way many of us live (myself included, at times!).

What I'm thinking of particularly today is this concept of being "good enough" or living with integrity "most of the time" or doing better "compared to everyone else." I know that, personally, have seen within myself this tendency to think that my faults and sin are "not good, but not as bad as...." You can fill in the end of that sentence with anything you like; either way, I'm certain it is not the way God conceives of my sins and mistakes.

Revelation 3:15-16: "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. " (NIV)

I heard one preacher say, "If you're lukewarm, God wants to puke you up." That's pretty stark, don't you think? Yes, it may be an indelicate way of saying it, but think about it. Even the original translation uses pretty harsh language. I don't want to do or be anything that makes God want to spit me out OR puke me up! And yet, so often we do!

Let's say I feel a nudge in my spirit to share about Jesus with a co-worker; instead, afraid of her reaction, I simply casually mention that I go to church and that it's a "great church" that "everyone" should try sometime. And that's all the further I ever go. What would God say? Would that make Him gag a little?

Or, maybe I go to church each Sunday, but the Saturday night before I'm out in a bar, dressed provocatively and "innocently" flirting with the bartender, cross necklace dangling from my neck. Then what? That almost makes me want to gag a little.

I am being somewhat graphic, but there's a purpose in it.

I think it's hard for us to get our minds around the concept of a God who loves and adores us and who also, at the same time is repulsed by our middling ways. I think the mistake we (I) tend to make is that, rather than live into the challenge of reconciling the two truths, we, instead, just grab onto a more natural-feeling concept for us and settle for doing or being "good enough." I mean, my example is very exaggerated on purpose, but haven't we all had some train of thought that mirrors this one: "C'mon! Yeah, I was in the bar last night, and maybe I was a little unladylike in a few moments, but at least I made it to church Sunday morning!"

I think the challenge is to conceive of it as God does. He loves us, passionately, when we fall short - unwaveringly, steadfastly, faithfully. And even though that's hard for me to understand, it's true. He also wants to puke me out when I settle for something less than.

I heard that same preacher say that our "greatest temptation" was not to become hedonistic heathens, lawless and without God...maybe disgusting to the world around us, but instead, our greatest temptation to live our lives lukewarm, halfway looking to and submitting to a Lord who gave it all for us.

I certainly don't mean to blame or evoke shame; that's so contrary to the heart of God. Rather, I intend simply to remind myself (and you) of God's priority in our behavior. He doesn't sit back and shrug His shoulders with a "well, that's alright" when we do it half way. And neither should we give that same tacit approval - neither to ourselves nor one another. His very sacrifice enables us to do more, to be more and to live in a way that makes Him beam with pride, glorifying His Holy Name.

That fire can be your reality. Today. And if you're afraid of not being able to heat up past lukewarm, remember that He will help you; all you have to do is ask. He will not fail you.

No comments: