Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hope

I'll reference one of my favorite verses to kick off a post on one of my favorite topics:

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)

I want you to know that, as a foundation for a little deeper word study, I checked nine different translations of the Bible, and each of them used the word "hope" in this verse. So, naturally, I looked into "hope" a little more deeply (again...I have to admit; I study into this particular word on a perennial basis; I love it so!).

So, now onto the Greek. The word used here, elpizo, is also frequently translated as "to trust." I think the best way to demonstrate its truest meaning might be to give a few verses in which this word is used, and then explain a little more:

Take 1 Timothy 5:5 for example, "She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day...." (ESV)

Or, Matthew 12:21, as it references Isaiah and speaks of Jesus: "In his name the nations will put their hope." (NIV)

Lastly, how about 2 Corinthians 1:10: "He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us." (NIV)

In my experience, we (as a culture) tend to use the word hope in a way that indicates a big maybe. "I hope I win the lottery" or "I hope they call our name soon." Maybe, "I hope it rains tonight." At least as I've heard it used, this word is generally used to indicate a positive desire for something that may or may not happen. We use it almost like a 50/50, or maybe kind of prospect.

This is not the way the Bible uses this word, elpizo.

The simplest, and most concise definition I found read simply, "to expect with desire." This verse is used "in an absolute sense." In fact, one of the listed synonyms was the word meaning "to expect"! I don't know about you, but that gives me a whole new perspective!

This faith that Hebrews 11:1 talks about isn't a simple "Gee, wouldn't it be nice?" kind of faith!

Look at the three example verses above. These verses are about hoping in the Lord, and don't you think it's fair to say that the widows can expect, without doubt, that they'll be cared for by their Father? It is one of His promises! And the nations can put their hope in Jesus! That's no "if we're lucky" prospect!

Faith is being "sure" of what we hope for...sure of that which we know to expect, based on His words to us!

Please remember when you hope in Him, as He instructs, there is no maybe. He is faithful. Absolutely.

I might invite you to look at a few of your favorite verses about hope, or do a little digging and find some new verses to become favorites if you don't have some already. Let this Biblical definition of hope give you new inspiration, and build up in you a stronger faith in Him!

No comments: