Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Different Kind of Freedom

Today's posting is a mental continuation of yesterday's thoughts.

I try so hard sometimes. And my intent, and my aim (which I believe God knows and understands) are to do His will, to honor Him and to live in His ways. I just make that harder and more complicated than it needs to be sometimes. When it comes down to it, I can start with the foundational truths and trust God to lead me from there. When I try to draw my own map, things can get messy. So, where to begin?

Well, some of the people of Jesus' time asked Him the same question; His answer provides me with much solid counsel:

"Then they asked him, 'What must we do to do the works God requires?' Jesus answered, 'The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.'" John 6:28-29 (NIV)

When it comes to the point, my first job is to believe in Jesus. When I do that, and heed His teachings, everything else really does fall right into place. That isn't the point of Independence Day, but it's the foundation to the only true freedom. And so I will start there and walk that path; I am certain it is worth it!

No comments: