Monday, July 27, 2009

Coming Your Way

There's a new song that has been filling many of my meditation times. It's called "I'm Coming Your Way," and it's on the "Everyone Overcome" album from the Desperation Band. It's a great song, and it's been drifting in and out of my thoughts so much lately.

The lyrics to this song are remarkably simple; the majority of the song is one single refrain: "I'm coming your way." When I first heard this song, I had understood it to mean essentially that the singer is going in God's direction. When the voice is mine, I was singing, "I'm coming to You; I'm coming in your direction."

Later, I realized that there is another possible meaning. Maybe it's intended to be saying, "I'm going to come along this path in the way You intend; I'm doing it your way." Rather than "your way" being a path or direction, maybe it's a method or an approach.

For some reason, my mind has gotten a little stuck on this idea of figuring out which meaning is the intended. Then, revelation being what it is, it occurred to me that maybe it's both. Or neither.

It's possible that Jared Anderson (the songwriter) didn't intend to have the song be a singer's words to God, but instead, God's words to the singer. The other lyrics in the song (which are few) don't make that immediately clear to me. What I did realize (eventually) is that it doesn't really matter what intent the writer had. There is value in all possible interpretations (which is one of those things I love about art!).

For me, I need the reinforcement of a constant affirmation to the Lord: I'm coming in Your direction, God! I'm coming to You!

Just as much, I need to continually make the call of my life one that cries out that I'm doing this Your way! I'm coming along in the way manner You dictate.

Lastly, I will certainly let the reverse message soak in: He is coming in my direction; He is coming and chasing after me and my heart - always and continually. I love that about Him.

So, whatever its author's original intent, I invite you to let the words soak into your head and heart too; I feel certain that (from all angles) the message is a good one.

No comments: