Thursday, July 2, 2009

Can You Hear Me Now?

So, I have had a topic I've been praying a lot about lately. I got what seemed like some possible direction from above on it, but I wasn't totally sure. It's one of those situations in which there isn't really a "bad" option. Both paths are Biblically sound; neither contradicts the character or promises of God. It's just one of those things.

In addition, the feedback I've gotten so far in prayer, meditation & searching has been neither strong nor absent...just sort of "maybe." So, I decided to take an approach I was a little nervous about, really, don't know how to approach it in any way that would be better... .

So, I told God, "Okay, here's what I think You are saying, and my intention and desire is to follow the path of Your guidance. And I trust in Your ability to guide me, to light my steps. So, if I'm taking the wrong path, divert me please!" And on I walk.

I think that's the point. I heard a series of sermons lately focused on the same topic, and I thought it was very sage. If I stop walking, I miss the point entirely. Yes, there's time required for preparation; but the planning, the pace and the syllabus for "prep time" are His to design. My job is to do the best I can do from a place of obedience and willingness.

I keep walking.

I think that when I freeze, I negate the very potential for effectiveness. I may wander off the path a bit, but if I refuse to step forward for lack of absolute certainty, I don't move any farther down the path. So, in closing, two verses and two thoughts:

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" Isaiah 30:21 (NIV)

Can you believe Him for this promise? In all things? In all ways? Whether you feel sure of the path or not?

And...

"for we walk by faith, not by sight..." 2 Corinthians 5:7 (NASB)

How much faith does it really take to walk down only those paths of which you are certain?

1 comment:

Fene said...

This reminds me of Abraham's Promise God gave him and how Abraham believed. Abraham died not seeing the complete fulfillment of the promise. When Sarah grew weary of waiting she tried to make it come to fulfillment from her own working of it. How many times I try to do that, thinking my timing seems right to me. The balance between resting in God's promises yet working toward them frustrates me at times. I may completely let go and "get it" and other times scratch my head and start doubting my path. By definition faith seems so simple...