Sunday, July 5, 2009

In His Sight

I'm going to keep this one short & simple today. It's a reminder I, personally, have found myself needing recently. It's a simple one, but important.

The first chapter of Ephesians serves as a touchstone for me, when I need a reminder of how God sees me and who I am in His sight:

"Even as [in His love] He chose us [actually picked us out for Himself as His own] in Christ before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy (consecrated and set apart for Him) and blameless in His sight, even above reproach, before Him in love. For He foreordained us (destined us, planned in love for us) to be adopted (revealed) as His own children through Jesus Christ, in accordance with the purpose of His will [ because it pleased Him and was His kind intent]..." Ephesians 1:4-5 (AMP)

There are millions, even billions of people in this world, and probably every single one of them would be able to come up with some way or manner of standing in judgement of me. I've got a lot of refining left ahead of me in life, and it's sometimes easy for me to start feeling like who I am and the way I am is not okay.

I really try earnestly on a daily basis to live in a way pleasing to Him, but sometimes I accidentally confuse His pleasure and approval with the approval of those here on earth - especially those who are His believers also.

What I need to remember is two fold: 1) God created us as unique individuals, my personality is not only a gift, but also a creative expression of who He is, and 2) His approval is the only approval that matters. His opinion is the only opinion that counts.

When I keep that in mind, accepting myself just the way I am - as a work in progress - is much easier.

No comments: