Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Way Or...

I'd like to share a little lesson God's been working on in me. My fear says that no one else out there will be able to relate, but even if that's the case, this has still be true experience for me.


Some might put this under the "Type A personality" umbrella, and maybe that's where it belongs, but I have a tendency to believe that my way is the "right" way to do something. Now, of course, in many instances, if someone asked me to consciously consider it, I'd tell you that there are often many ways to accomplish the same thing, and that, usually, many ways are just as "good" as another. But, when it comes to setting me down in front of a task that needs accomplishing, I find that I usually have a very clear idea about what I think is the "right" (or at least the "best") way to tackle it.

Recently, through identifying some unintentional judgment, I realized that I do this even in regards to spending time with and growing in the Lord. I know people who have a very regimented approach to their time with God. They spend exactly "x" number of minutes, each day, as soon as they wake up. A specific portion of that time is spent in active, vocal prayer. A second portion spent in reading the Bible and a third portion spent in some other pre-designated way. Then I know people who sort of just make time for Him each day, reading or writing prayers. And there are a million variations in the middle and on either side.

I felt very clearly the Lord remind me recently that I don't need to "worry" about how someone else might approach their relationship with him. Just like our relationships with one another, each relationship with Jesus is unique. And that the only way to do it "wrong" is not to do it at all. So, my job as a friend, as a supporter and as a fellow in Christ is to support those relationships, no matter how they look or what they encompass as part of their routine. Even if that means there is no routine!

Lord, help me to let You handle everything that isn't mine to put my hands on. Help me to love and support those in my life who are pursuing You, and to celebrate that they seek Your heart - whether their journey looks similar to mine or not!

No comments: