Sunday, July 19, 2009

We Are the Body

I heard someone on the radio today speaking about health care; they were discussing the way we (as a nation/society/race) approach it. One sentiment caught my attention. The speakers were discussing the ways in which, as a society, we deal with other major "things" in our lives. Our cars, one person pointed out, aren't purchased part by part. We don't first buy an engine, and then purchase a transmission and then go buy a hood. No, we consider our car a whole thing, and we consider it a single thing. True, there are individual elements of a car, and they do work together in tandem. At certain times, one specific part is failing...and then we go straight for that piece. But, in general, if you don't have a whole car, you're not going anywhere.

This makes me think about the metaphors that are used to describe the body of the church. In general, we need all the "parts" to make a healthy, functional body. There's much wonderful dialogue about the need for each part to play its assigned part in order to achieve harmonious and productive balance.

I think it's also fair to take this metaphor of the church body and micro-size it a bit to examine our own individual spiritual lives. I can only speak for myself, but I know that I certainly need all the parts: I need time alone for reflection. I need time in conversation with the Lord. I need time listening. I also need time reading the Bible. But I need more than that, as well. To be in a place that is fully spiritually whole, I also need fun time to relax and kickback in a safe, supportive and loving environment. I need friends who are followers of Jesus, helping hold me accountable and helping teach me things they know as I journey through the challenges of life. I need feedback from spiritual leaders and friends alike. I need the whole picture.

Again, I can only speak for myself, but I also believe that these principles are modeled by (in part) and supported by Jesus and the Biblical approach to a life in pursuit of Jesus. Now, of course, I think God can cover any and all bases when necessary...certainly I don't believe that an illiterate person, unable to read the Bible, would be unable to have a full and enriching spiritual life. Not at all; God makes a way (and, hopefully, a church somewhere is teaching folks who need to learn how to read!). What I do find hard to grasp is folks who speak about being alone in their faith pursuits.

I have someone close to my own life whose personal spiritual journey has been almost completely solitary. He professes that he can (and does) have a "spiritual" life that is just between him and God as he understands Him. It's not my place to judge, and I do see signs of growth in this life. But, truthfully, when I come back to as a baseline is why. Why do it that way? Just because you can doesn't mean that you should. Now, don't get me wrong; I'm a demonstrable fan of making things harder than they need to be (wink). But, really, going solo in this endeavor - even just alone with God - seems harder. And why make it harder if it doesn't have to be?

Of course there are a million exemptions and exceptions and variable circumstances. I know God has used seasons of extreme solitude to work miracles in my own life, but in the big picture, spanning a lifetime, I am grateful that I have others with which to share the journey. Some are my dear, close friends. Some are just authors and teachers whose work has influenced me greatly. But, regardless of who, I am glad I don't have to go even this earthly part of the journey alone.

No comments: