Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Right Hand Helper

I'd like to start by highlighting two translations of a familiar verse:

"I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me." Psalms 16:8 (NLT)

&

"I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved." Psalms 16:8 (AMP)

I've been thinking lately about all the hard decisions and tough discernment often required of us in this life. We sometimes have to make decisions that are literally life and death, in making health care decisions for example, or deciding about the best course of action with a child in a heartbreaking state of decline. And there are hundreds and thousands of other decision that, although not life and death decisions, impact greatly our lives and the lives of those we love: divorce, remarriage, adoption, career decisions, moving, ending a relationship, beginning a new one... the list goes on and on. We have a lot we get to navigate in our lives.

Where the verse above comes into play is two fold: First and foremost, we have much reason for gratitude! Those of us who walk in the yielded life of a Christian, placing the Lord continually before us, are able to know we can walk a steady (although imperfect) path through life. He is our right hand. I don't know about you, but this gives me quite a cause for excitement. I have so easily and so often been overwhelmed and distraught over decisions I needed to make. Yet, I can rest with ease knowing that He, at my right hand, will keep me steady, as long as I continue to let Him lead the way.

The second implication of this verse, which is actually more on my heart today, is for those who don't know and/or aren't living with this truth as part of their approach to life. I think about my unbelieving friends. I think about friends who are struggling with incredibly weighty and important life decisions:

What should I do about my failing marriage? Should I leave my job? How should I confront my daughter about her drug use? Which path should I pursue in my cancer treatments?

These questions weigh just as heavily, if not more so, on non-believers as they do on those of us that live as a part of His kingdom. But they are unaware of the resource they could have at their disposal: a navigating Guide who not only always seems to know the best way to get everywhere, but actually designed the roads.

As I let this sink in, I feel such a heavy compassion in my heart for how hard it must be to live that way. I remember trying to make decisions and just proceed in life when I was living away from the Lord; and it was hard. Excruciating. And I had no assurance of really anything. I think about how much I can wrestle today with decisions and judgments about my own life, and I have a Perfect Leader at my right hand!

My heart is moved when I think of the loss at which others must find themselves, and my heart is challenged at the same time. As a follower of Jesus, I don't believe my role in this dichotomy is to feel pity for my non-believing friends and gratitude for my own situation. Well, I should clarify; that can be part of my role. But, I believe we forgo plentiful opportunities if we let it end there.

Each decision our friends make is an opportunity for us to let God's light shine into their lives, and His light most certainly includes His lamppost of guidance! Furthermore, when we have challenging decisions, it's an incredible opportunity to live as a witness for power of Jesus if we will share, and share frankly and openly, with those in our lives who can be persuaded and moved by the example of someone who finds real peace because he or she relies on the Lord for guidance.

I know there are many wonderful stories out there about people who become believers after simply being told the truth about Jesus, but there are many others who will be persuaded by watching someone live out the life of a Christian and acknowledging that it is not only different, but also better than life out in the lost world.

As a believer, I acknowledge my responsibility to bring glory to His name, and what better way could I do just that than to live - outloud and in front of the non-believers in my life - just what it means to let Him be my right hand, and then, to sing His praises for what a difference He makes!

No comments: