Sunday, July 26, 2009

Self-Defense

So, I started my day today with a self-defense course put on by a local community organization. It was great, and I mentioned to my friend that I thought 90% of the "trick" was just getting people to think of themselves as empowered to retaliate. The instructors shared with us that the biggest problem is that many people who find themselves on the wrong end of an attack simply freeze.

Our instructors repeated to us that its important for us to decide now whether or not we were going to be victims in the moment of attack. They said it again and again: "decide now." I thought their logic made a lot of sense. In the moment, they said, people often freeze up and forget everything they "know" simply because they've been caught off guard. I can understand that; in the moment, it's probably hard to think all that rationally and calmly.

Later this afternoon, I started thinking about the parallels I've seen in my own life to the way I can respond to spiritual attack sometimes. I "know" all sorts of things about spiritual attack; but I often find myself floundering or at least wallowing in fear a bit before I get my combat mode going.

So, I started thinking... what would it mean for me to "decide now" that I am not going to be a victim in an attack, but that, instead, I will be a fighter? Unlike physical attack, I am absolutely certain that I WILL be subject to spiritual attack in my life - many times, and the next time will be soon, I'm sure.

Our instructors also talked about how important it was that we practice our moves and responses. "The way you practice," he said "is the way you'll be in the situation." Hmm...more food for thought. How can I practice? How can I psych myself up for battle and make sure that, when the time comes (because it WILL come!) I'm ready with my spiritual guns blazing. I don't want to be a wallflower; in fact, my goal is to be so full of faith and holy fire that when Satan thinks about attacking me, he just gives up because he knows it'll be a waste of time.

Yes, I think mental preparation is key. And, deciding now that I will stand and fight. Immediately. My suspicion is that spiritual attack is the same as physical attack: the first couple moments can make or break the outcomes. What about you? What will you "decide now?"

No comments: