Thursday, July 9, 2009

Resting, Part 1

So, I've had the word "rest" on my mind a lot lately. It's something that I believe the Spirit's spoken into my heart...and I've been praying about & meditating on it a lot this week.


There are some obvious definitions for this word... I can start by just thinking about how I use that word on a day to day basis. When I am at home, and someone calls and asks, "What are you up to?" What is it that I was doing right beforehand when my answer is, "I was just resting."?


Well, for me, that usually means quiet; it usually means peacefulness. There are also some key things that I think it doesn't mean. It doesn't mean worry; it doesn't mean stress. When I'm resting, there isn't tension, and there isn't planning.


I think I can easily take these ideas and apply them to scripture such as this:


"Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him...." Psalm 37:7a (AMP)


Interestingly, other translations of the Bible translate "rest" to waiting patiently and in stillness.


When looking at the original language for this specific verse, the implication definitely implies quiet, or even silence, and stillness. It implies a ceasing on the part of the rester, and waiting.


So, let me look at how this might be able to be applied to my life. If the Lord is telling me to rest, what does that look like?


I have felt like I'm being instructed to "rest" in regards to specific situations and concerns I have in my heart. So, how do I do that? Well, for starters, it seems that I need to shuttup a little bit. :) It's time for me to stop telling God what I want and how I think He should run His universe. I need to cease my constant "discussions" with Him, and simply wait on His plan.


Gosh, doesn't that sound familiar? (See Psalm 27:13-14 for a refresher)

Okay, Lord. Teach me to rest. I will obey Your commands; may my heart never waiver from that commitment. Teach me to rest in You.

No comments: