Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Own Best Witness

I was talking with a couple friends tonight, and sharing about some frustrations I'd had... mostly with myself. I was feeling myself get repeatedly frustrated with God's plan and approach in an area of my life. I'm not sure which thing has been more bothersome: His plan and it's non-conformity to my plan, or the fact that my feelings have so much reflected that feeling and lack of inner-yield to Him.

Thankfully, one of my friends reminded me of a post I wrote a few months ago. The link is here: bicycle built for two.

It's a long one, from back in March, but it happens to be one of my personal favorites. And in it, I talk about learning that God's route from "here" to "there" is always, always, always better than my route... and I explore the journey and the lessons of learning to let Him drive...and to let Him drive with peace in my heart.

As soon as she started to brought it up to me, I got tears in my eyes. Not only because her point was so right-on, but I think also because I felt a wave of humility. Jesus has already taught me this lesson, several times. And I need to re-learn it again and again...and not only is He willing to teach me, but He is also willing to let my own memories, and my own past be a part of the teaching.

To those who are just beginning their pursuit of healing in Jesus, I have said before that there is no magic power in having been at this for more time than someone else. There is, however, one advantage a soul seasoning in pursuit of Him may have over a newbie. What is that? Well, we get to know from our own experience that God IS who He says He is, and that He does what He says He'll do. We get to not only hear from others and trust in faith that His word is absolute truth and that His promises are real and trustworthy; we also have the history of our own healing to provide to ourselves as proof. I don't know anyone that has genuinely pursued the Lord and been left without numerous stories of His amazing grace and goodness.

It is a gift that He lavishes His love and mercy on us the way He does; it's an amazing kindness that He lets us tell our own stories again and again as reminders. The Lord knows what this heart needs, and I will be forever grateful at the wonderful and wondrous ways in which He provides.

"The Lord is my shepherd. I have all that I need." Psalm 23:1 (NLT)

No comments: