Sunday, June 28, 2009

Distractions

It's easy to be distracted from "the point." I suppose when I say the point, I really mean the point of life here on earth. And there are probably a million valid ways to explain and/or decide what that real "point" is...but I think we may all be able to agree on one single baseline: we are here to do His will. We are here to bring pleasure to His heart, to glorify His name, and in short, to do His will. Okay, I realize that I just sort of named three things, but go with me on this if you will.

The point I'm trying to make is that it is very easy, at least for me, to lose sight of that focus. There are many noble pursuits, and many other goals that often fall in under this larger cover. But, at the end and at the beginning of the day, we have one goal: His goal.

And it is easy to get confused in the subtle differences between His priorities and the priorities of our communities: to be a "productive member of society" seems a worthy aim. I would hazard a guess, however, that His definition of productive is different than the world's. And, really, doesn't it all come down to what we're trying to produce.

I can get easy discouraged and sidetracked trying to balance out all the areas in which I need to improve. I need to be less selfish, surrender my will more, be kinder and more people-focused at work. I need to respond more graciously when I don't get my way; I need to interrupt other people less when they're speaking. And even that quick list just scratches the surface; there are also all the more specific situation-specific improvements needed. As you may be able to relate, it is easy for me to feel overwhelmed.

When, however, I stop and remember my real primary priority, it all seems easier...and simpler.

I do not doubt for a moment that there are many, many times in which I miss the mark; they are countless I am sure. What I have to believe is God's priority, however, is my intent... and when I clear away the noise and try to just bring pleasure to the heart of God, I trust that I do alright in however that plays out in the world.

No comments: