Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Amends

As part of a discussion group, I was in on a discussion surrounding this question last night:

Do you owe any amends to God?

This really got me thinking. Do I owe God an apology? Now, I could go off into a big long tangent about the word "owe" here and how it implies I have a debt that I'm meant to pay. Thankfully, by the saving work of Jesus, this doesn't apply between me & God. However, the spirit of the question is a good one.

I started praying about this today and asking God. For what things do I need to approach Him and apologize. I am really thinking beyond the obvious here. Willful sin, habitual sin, obvious sin of any kind, really... I guess I am thinking more about the subtle things I do that I don't really realize are sin, or - sin or not - are things for which I could apologize to God for rightfully anyway. So, anyway, I guess this is just a random thought that I'm putting out there at this point. What does it mean to apologize to God in a sense that is separate from repentance? Is there such a thing?

Comments are welcome...but for now, I'm just going to keep mulling this over. I invite you to do the same.

1 comment:

Andy W said...

I think apologizing for sin is along the same line as asking for forgiveness.

Repentance is willfully choosing to not sin again, to actually turn away from sin.