Friday, June 19, 2009

Stillness

I suspect that I have already written on this topic, perhaps multiple times. I'll warn you now that it's likely I'll continue to write on it periodically. It just happens to be a reminder I need every now & then...and when I get it, it strikes me. And that's just the thing I like to write about here. :)


Anyway, onto the order of business: Psalm 46:10 starts with a very familiar phrase:


"Be still, and know that I am God..."


I love this reminder. Sometimes I go through and mentally emphasize individual words. It often has varying impact on my heart that way...


Be still and know that I am God


Be still and know that I am God


Be still and know that I am God


Be still and know that I am God.


For me, each of those are good messages to hear again and again. The verse also goes on to say more, though. And this verse's much less well-known half gives me new insight into the first part of the verse:


"...I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10 (NIV)


In light of this context, I have to say I hear most loudly the version that emphasizes God. And what that means, and who He is are the natural leads-in to a proclamation that He will be exalted among all nations and on the earth.

For me, I like to remember that part while I'm also remembering the importance of being still. And the importance of knowing, while I'm at it. I just have to remember that I know. And I can be truly still not just as a random counterpart to the fact that He is God, but because He is God. Without Him being worthy of exaltation in all nations and throughout the entire earth, stillness would not come simply from knowing who He is. Thankfully, He is who He says He is. And in that, there is true peace.

No comments: