Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Be Unreasonable

I find myself so often thinking about what's practical. In certain areas of my life, I'm a pragmatist to the core. In fact, I was once teased for praying for efficiency for a family I knew. It's true; I value efficiency, practicality and realistic expectations - perhaps more than some. But, I pray that never stops me from letting God be God.

"So he said to me, 'This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.' Zechariah 4:6 (NIV)

Oh yeah! That's the reminder I need sometimes.... Things in this world (and beyond) are accomplished not by might nor by power, but by HIS Spirit. Hallelujah, right?

So, when you find yourself thinking about how much money you have to raise for a mission trip, how much energy you need to reserve for "ample" quiet time (and the conflict with the needs of your children) or the challenging task of resolving a particularly tough conflict with your spouse, remember that You don't go alone...or at least you don't have to. Bring Him with you.

Every now and then, on the way to someplace that I'm dreading, I like to imagine Jesus sitting in the passenger seat of my car next to me. We'll chat a bit about the day/event ahead, and I'll ask Him to just come and stay with me. I'll wander the workday/party/whatever and periodically imagine Him sitting in the chair next to me, or standing by my side in the hallway. It might sound silly, but for me, it's been part of retraining my brain.

I don't live my power, nor by might. It is by His Spirit that I have any chance at all. And I've seen first hand that, with Him, I can do a million things I never believed I'd be able to do at all. Bring Him along. Expect His Spirit to show up. Trust in His power. And leap! He won't let you fall...!

No comments: