Thursday, June 4, 2009

Come into the Light

I came across this verse in my reading today, and it reminded me of why I love word study so much:

"But everything exposed by the light becomes visible..." Ephesians 5:13 (NIV)

The way it's translated version to version is very different. I'll spare you all the translations here, but you can always check BibleGateway.com for an easy way to cross reference. In any case, the most common words that are used are exposed and reproved. Now, in my understanding, the words (at least on their surface) mean very different things.

From Merriam-Webster:

Expose: to make known : bring to light (as something shameful) b: to disclose the faults or crimes of

Reprove: 1: to scold or correct usually gently or with kindly intent

Even in the case of thinly veiled metaphor, the nuance within the meanings of these two words is quite different.

Then I started looking at the Greek root words. Very interesting!

There is a handful of really comprehensive resources I use as my general guides when looking at the root language, and for all intents and purposes, I think the best translation (at least in me-speak) is more about conviction.

The light of Jesus convinces our hearts of our wrong; it convicts us. The root language implies that it does so for the purpose of bringing us shame. I found this idea a little upsetting, until I took away the modern pop-psychology concept that I think I instantly attach to the idea of shame. Really, at its simplest core, shame is that feeling I feel every time I know I've done something in a way that wouldn't bring joy to Jesus. So, yeah, it's not about mean kids on the playground or self-hatred. It's just about my conscience.

So, back to what is really my very simple point for today: what things am I withholding from Jesus' light? Either intentionally or unintentionally? His light brings truth. His like brings true exposure. And sometimes, yes, that light will bring rebuking. And conviction. And shame. But His light is also about love, and conviction yes, but not condemnation. Unlike the criminal found guilty in our modern courts, in the courts of the Holy One, we are found guilty, but never condemned to serve our sentence. The price has already been paid. Let Him shine His light. There's freedom on the other side.

No comments: