Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Knowing the Author

It is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful practice to spend time reading the Bible. The Bible tells us to let this living and active word live inside of us; it tells us that it's living and active.

At the same time, when I read this verse tonight, I have to admit I felt a slight correction in my spirit:

You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
John 5:39-40 (NIV)


I don't know why; maybe it's because of my task-oriented nature, but I sometimes find it easier to spend time reading the Bible than to just spend time in communion with my Lord. Thankfully, I know that eternal life comes through Jesus, not through reading the Bible.... And on that note, it is as plain as can be that what I'm supposed to do is to come to Him. And I have definitely found that my life is better the more I come. So, for tonight, I'm done reading and am going to go have a little chill time with my Savior. I'm thankful to remember how important that alone is!

No comments: