Monday, February 2, 2009

Demolition Derby

Alright, I just love, love, love this verse. Check it out:

“The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds” 2 Corinthians 10:4 (NIV).

Now, I may be slightly biased; it is certainly true that I have had my fair share of strongholds with which to contend in life. And, so, as I continue on in warfare on my own patch of grass here, I so appreciate the vote and promise of divine power here!

I'll keep this brief for today. I think, in looking at this one, that the text speaks for itself so very clearly. And to help demonstrate that point, there's probably no better approach than simply looking at the original language of the text itself.

The word translated as weapons doesn't necessarily connote only warfare or fighting. It does imply armor and a taking up of arms, but it also implies simple tools or utensils. The take away there for me is that it's not only in the hard times of serious fighting that I need to remember to call on His weaponry and strength; it's all times. Even when I may be passing by my sword and grabbing for a simple hammer.

Next, "divine power." The more word-for-word King James translates this phrase as "mighty through God" referencing two root words: one for "mighty" and one for "through God." The word for mighty is a word I am loving: dynatos. It means powerful, but also capable. I don't know about you, but there's an added layer of importance to that. A ninja kick to the gut might be powerful. But, unless your goal is either violence or a really slick video clip, it probably isn't going to really accomplish much in your personal situation. But this word, dynatos, implies capability, possibility and strong, powerful ability. It's a word that, to my reading, implies that things can get done and that they can get done with the same kind of might encapsulated in a wicked-cool ninja kick. The word translated as "through God" reminds me of the last very important element: it's through, because of and within the context of God that we have this power available to us, and, if I may say so, that the power has the ability to do anything at all.

Lastly, the demolition of strongholds. Stepping aside from the original language for a moment, I love the NIV's choice of "demolish" here. What a great word! I picture a house and bulldozer, and that house, in my mind's eye, is just a heap of sticks in a matter of moments. And, really, what's great is that the Greek supports this word-picture to a certain extent! This word for demolish really means to pull-down or tear-down. It implies destruction and complete extinction. Praise God! His weapons have the power to make extinct my problems! What an awesome piece of truth that is!!!

And, as the final piece, strongholds: part of the translation I have found for this word lends itself to the idea of a fortified castle, a structure holding safely its shape and form. I imagine a big castle, complete with moat and creaky drawbridge. Big ole walls have surrounded some of my own castle-strongholds. But this verse says that they can be torn down and completely destroyed, by the power of the weapons He puts into our hands and to which He gives His power! Awesome! I'm taking my own mental pictures and following through here: bulldozer, meet castle. And that's it! Bye-bye castle! Moat and drawbridge are no more. It's freed promised land that my God has set aside for me! And for you, too! What an awesome word of encouragement and empowerment!

No comments: