Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Lifestyle of Praise

I had a kinda blah day today. I am overtired and in definite need of some retreat & restore time. I had over-committed my week, and under-prioritized sleep. And now it was catching up with me. Okay, so, we've all been there, right? And, gosh, if nothing else, this is how we learn!

So, anyway, about late afternoon today, I started to feel downright surly. I was in the car, and thought, "Lord, help me out. I don't like feeling this way. Please help me know what to do." And, oh how I thank Him for His faithfulness... like clockwork, there popped a new thought into my head. I was reminded, quite unexpectedly, of something a friend of mine had recently written. She'd shared about an experience of hers and that, in the midst of a painful time, the act of praise had powerfully pulled her into a new place. Ah, thank you, and thank You!

I began the process of praise-ifying my night. At first, it was sort of rote, and didn't have a lot of heart behind it. "Lord, you are the maker of the beautiful sunset - I praise Your name for You creative and amazing beautiful works." And the words sound nice, but re-read them with a monotone voice, and that's about where I started. But, thankfully, I learned the principle of acting myself into "right thinking" rather than trying to think myself into "right acting" long ago, so I kept on. It's been several hours now, and I stepped outside just a moment ago to let my dogs out. I looked up at the stars and was honestly struck with wonder at His beauty; "Lord, I praise Your name as the maker of this wonder." And I meant it. And I feel certain He knew it. He always does.

I decided as my night had progressed, and my heart had been changed that I was going to adopt a new idea, and begin to pursue a "lifestyle of praise." It's like an attitude of gratitude (which also has my wholehearted endorsement!), but with a new slant.

In honor of this, and with the blessing of the Spirit's leading, I am going to close with this verse. May it dwell in you richly...

"But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more" Psalms 71:14 (NIV).

I love You, Lord! I praise Your name for You are Glory! Text Color

No comments: