Friday, February 27, 2009

Supernatural Life

God is good, right? I mean, seriously, how often to do we say that in our lives as followers? Sometimes a lot; other times, maybe not as much. It may sound strange, but what I think I forget sometimes is that it's true.

Romans 8:28 tells us that, "in all things God works for the good of those who love him" (NIV).

I can't be the only one who needs to soak that in a little....

In ALL things? Really, all things? Yes, really.

One of my most precious friends has recently sent her husband off to serve in military service in Afghanistan. And just last night, she was telling me about all the gifts and graces that have come in the midst of all the concurrent sadness, loss and trepidation in her journey.

I was so struck by the testimony in what she was saying. Her husband had just left to go to a war zone, in an entirely different world with a future that, day to day, is all but unknown. And she was praising the goodness of our God. Not only does she have the wonderful testimony of the insights, peace and gifts He is bringing into her life right now, but she has the astounding ability to say that - in the midst of tremendously challenging personal situations - she is praising God? I mean, c'mon! Who does that?!?

I look around my life; I take stock of the world around me. This is not the way of the natural.

This is the way of a God who sent His only Son to this earth. This is the God who, in His ultimate justice, required that there to be sacrifice to compensate for our sinful ways. But instead of demanding from us what we could never give, sent the only precious Son capable of taking away our debts. And He came. And He gave. And because of it, we live. Because of it, we praise. Because of it, we see grace in the midst of personal storm.

This is the life that dreams are made of. I don't think any adult can reasonably hope for a lack of trial in this fallen world; but we can all hope with Biblical expectation for His hand working for GOOD in the midst of ALL our circumstances. What a wonderful privilege to be loved by a God such as this. May no unbelief stand in the way of each heart claiming His goodness for our lives. This is the Christian life. This is the life of devotion to the ways of a Savior that came, and sacrificed, so that we could live. Amen!

No comments: