Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Changing Courses

I've been thinking about spiritual heritage today, and that got me thinking about the patterns, roles and belief systems we "inherit" from our families. In so many ways, it's easy to think that our destinies are half planned by our earthly families before we're even born!

I am so grateful, however, that this is not Biblical truth.

There are many, many reference throughout the Word urging believers to repent. As many know, the word often translated to "repent" literally means to stop and change course. It's that simple.

My very wise boyfriend made a comment over the holidays that has come back to my mind time and time again. We were discussing family structures, spiritual heritage and the legacies alive and well in many families (including mine). Specifically, we were discussing the legacies that might be less than ideal - generational histories of children born out of wedlock, divorce, abuse, and etc. I am sure we can all think of some parts of our family's collective story we'd like to change if we could.

And that was exactly the point of his comment. I won't be able to provide his exact words, but basically, he said that all it takes is one person deciding that they're ready for it to be different... whatever "it" may be. He said that all it really takes is one person changing course with resolution and intention, and that the course of a family line can be changed forever. It's such a simple concept, and yet, he's absolutely right.

I think about this in regards to my own family line. There are many lovely and wonderful parts of our collective history, and others in which I would like to be a pioneering advocate for change. My boyfriend also pointed out another important point. Sometimes, changing direction is enough, but sometimes it takes not only the shift in momentum, but also telling others about your change in direction - calling it out, explaining it and letting others in on the plan. Whether or not others chose to walk in step, sometimes it's vital to let them in on your intentions; wouldn't it be a shame for generational change to be less effective because of an assumption that others will understand our actions as we do? Or worse, out of shyness or embarrassment? An unwillingness to be vulnerable? An unwillingness to risk?

This calls to mind one of my favorite verses: "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline" 2 Timothy 1:7 (NIV).

In light of this context, I invite you to join with me in thinking about the ways in which I desire to be the point in my family's history where the line turns and takes a new direction. Where can I make a difference in not only my own immediate circle, but potentially the lives of generations to come? What an honor...

Lord, let our hearts be bold and our paths marked by Your guiding light.

No comments: