Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Heart of God

I was talking today with a friend about...well, about life. Life's twists and turns and how tough it is to wait for God to reveal what His answers are. I was sharing that if I'd learned anything about waiting on God, it was that His sense of timing was waaay different from my own! And yet, I believe in Him and in His ways. I absolutely believe that His way is the path to my greatest good.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV).

It's a familiar verse for many, but it's one of my favorites - one that I just like to curl up with and let it renew me and teach me more about God's heart. And really, it says some incredibly important things about God and His heart.

Not only does He know the plans He has for us, but there's more. And really, even that can be reassuring at times. I know that I have at times felt like God was maybe just sort of waffling back and forth or still trying to come up with a strategy. This verse reminds me that my fears aren't truth. He KNOWS the plans He has for us. So, not only does He know them, but He has them. Phew, okay. That's a good start.

What's more? His plans are to prosper us, and not to harm us. Quickly, a look at that word: prosper. It's derived from the Hebrew word "shalom." Many of us know this word, but few have looked into the rich depth of its full meaning. Shalom means peace, but it means complete, full and happy peace. This word is associated with rest and welfare, health and favour. This word is also about safety. These are the things God plans for us. Rest, welfare, health, favor, safety... complete, full and happy peace. Wow. I love this Lord!

His plans are good. His plans are complete. Pray for His help in waiting if you need it; He will not let you down!

No comments: